16th-century building was harmoniously restored by Master Typographer Louis Jou who, in doing so, played his part in the conservation and revival of the village.
finest works of Louis Jou are exhibited alongside his furniture and collections -ancient books, engravings by Dürer and Goya, paintings, sculptures and ceramics – in the intimacy of the 6 rooms of the Renaissance Jean de Brion Mansion.
an artist, engraver, illustrator, typographer and talented editor, Louis Jou’s reputation stems from works that combine creative power with perfect execution.
He was a
friend of painters and poets (Derain, Picasso, Apollinaire, Suarès) and, in 1939, he decided to set up his studio in Les Baux-de-Provence.
A pioneering artist in the town, he bought the Jean de Brion Renaissance mansion which he restored. After his death it became a museum dedicated to his works and collections: nearly 1,500 16th to 19th century works, Dürer and Goya ethchings.
But the years have gone by, and at present the museum is undergoing consolidation works and its spaces are being reorganised. It will be opening its doors again this coming summer with the
“ on the ground floor, contributing to the Foundation’s desire to launch an activity of the highest standard. L’Atelier du livre” for conservation and restoration
His studio reveals the stringency and rigour of Louis Jou’s works. Between the manual presses and the sets of letters created by the artist, you can see the world of typography and art publishing
Louis Jou was a passionate artist who had a major influence on contemporary books. Poet and publisher Pierre Seghers described him as “the architect of books and Les Baux”.
Information about the opening days and courses: