5 The Penitents' Chapel

On Place de l'église, on the edge of the cliff overlooking the Fontaine Valley, stands the chapel built in the mid 17th century by the Brotherhood of White Penitents. It was raised from the ruins in 1937 by the Brotherhoods of Langue d'Oc and dedicated to St. Estelle who has been asked to watch over the memory of the old penitents from Les Baux. The huge doorway decorated with rusticated masonry and topped by a low relief showing two penitents kneeling and bearing the chiselled inscription, "In nomine Jesu omne genus flectatur" (In the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow).
The interior of the chapel, which once had ribbed vaulting, is decorated with frescoes by Yves Brayer (1974) representing the Shepherds' Christmas in the Provençal tradition.

On the church square, on the edge of the cliff overlooking the Fontaine Valley, stands the chapel built in the mid 17th century by the Brotherhood of White Penitents. It was raised from the ruins in 1937 by the Brotherhoods of Langue d'Oc and dedicated to St. Estelle who has been asked to watch over the memory of the old penitents from Les Baux. The huge doorway decorated with rusticated masonry and topped by a low relief showing two penitents kneeling and bearing the chiselled inscription, "In nomine Jesu omne genus flectatur" (In the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow).

 

The interior of the chapel, which once had ribbed vaulting, is decorated with frescoes by Yves Brayer (1974) representing the Shepherds' Christmas in the Provençal tradition.