12 Jean de Brion Mansion - Louis Jou Foundation

This 16th-century building was harmoniously restored by Master Typographer Louis Jou who, in doing so, played his part in the conservation and revival of the village.
LOUIS JOU FOUNDATION
The finest works of Louis JOU are exhibited alongside his furniture and collections -ancient books, engravings by Dürer and Goya, paintings, sculptures and ceramics - in the intimacy of the 6 rooms of the Renaissance Jean de Brion Mansion. The Tour is followed by a visit to the workshops containing the presses used by Louis Jou, Master typographer, engraver, printer and publisher. 
Louis Jou was a friend of Derain, Dunoyer de Ségonzac, Francis Carco and particularly Marquet with whom he discovered Les Baux for the first time in 1916. He settled here in 1942.
An incomparable creative artist influenced by the great printers of the 15th and 16th centuries, Louis Jou was to enrich the tradition by creating his own typefaces and making them with his own hands, composing type by hand and designing the page layout of splendid publications.  He illustrated those with woodcuttings and printed on a hand press.
 
Open : with advanced booking.
Tel 33 (0)4 90 54 34 17
Rates
Adults : 5 €
Students and children : 2.50 €
Children (under 7) : free

Jean de Brion Mansion

This 16th-century building was harmoniously restored by Master Typographer Louis Jou who, in doing so, played his part in the conservation and revival of the village.

Louis Jou Foundation

The finest works of Louis Jou are exhibited alongside his furniture and collections -ancient books, engravings by Dürer and Goya, paintings, sculptures and ceramics - in the intimacy of the 6 rooms of the Renaissance Jean de Brion Mansion. The Tour is followed by a visit to the workshops containing the presses used by Louis Jou, Master typographer, engraver, printer and publisher. Louis Jou was a friend of Derain, Dunoyer de Ségonzac, Francis Carco and particularly Marquet with whom he discovered Les Baux for the first time in 1916. He settled here in 1942.

An incomparable creative artist influenced by the great printers of the 15th and 16th centuries, Louis Jou was to enrich the tradition by creating his own typefaces and making them with his own hands, composing type by hand and designing the page layout of splendid publications. He illustrated those with woodcuttings and printed on a hand press.

The Foundation will be undertaking some major work in 2017 so the Museum will be temporarily closed.

 

The workshop is open to visitors on Saturday from 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm, from 8th July to 16th September.

Free entrance

 

Information
+33 (0)4 90 54 34 17
jr.leroy@orange.fr
www.fondationlouisjou.org
contact@fondationlouisjou.org